Book Review; Shatter Me series [1 & 2] by Taherah Mafi

2.13.2014


Hey everyone,

I haven't been wearing any photograph-worthy outfits lately so I thought I'd write a well deserved book review instead. This is going to be a review of a series so far, not simply just a one book review. Before I get started, can we all take a moment to appreciate how beautiful these book covers are?I think they're simply stunning, and some of the best I've seen in a while. Lets get started!

About the series;
The Shatter Me series consists of three books; Shatter Me, Unravel Me and the newly released finale- Ignite Me. There are two eBook novellas; Destroy Me and Fracture Me, which are now being published in paper together, in a book called Unite Me. Sound a tad confusing? I thought so too at first, but I took a plunge and purchased the first book before Christmas. They currently aren't available in Ireland, so I bought them on The Book Depository, which is such a great website for buying new and cheap books! The Shatter Me series is about a teenage girl called Juliette, who has a strange ability- she can kill people with the single touch of a finger. After being whisked off to an asylum for years, she then gets saved by the charming Adam, who takes her to a ruthless yet insanely attractive Warner. The story follows their adventures and Juliette's self discovery, whilst falling in love, and finding her purpose. The book is set in a futuristic world that has been almost destroyed by human activity.


 My Opinion;
So far, I am loving this series and I can't wait to buy the third and final book! Taherah Mafi has such a unique way of writing, but I have a feeling you'll either love it or loathe it. Some words are crossed out, as forbidden thoughts perhaps inside Juliette's head. I personally thought the writing style was beautiful, and so different to what I'm used to reading. I liked the main character Juliette in Shatter Me, but in Unravel Me I just couldn't connect with her whatsoever. Her constant moaning put me off. Again, in Shatter Me I was definitely all for Adam and Juliette's relationship, but in Unravel Me my love the stronger for Warner- something that appears to cause a divide between fans of the series! I loved the plot of both books, particularly of the second one, but I can only hope that Ignite Me ends the series well and Juliette learns to cop on.

Rating;
3.5/5


Will you be reading the Shatter Me series?
p.s- guess who's birthday it is tomorrow? ;)
post signature
where to find me >

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© oh hey there rachel. Design by Fearne.