Fake It 'Til You Make It

4.16.2017

As shown on my Instagram (where I do most of my posting lately), I recently won Blog of the Year at the Hybrid Student Media Awards 2017- for the second year running, might I add. I still can't believe I managed to win. If I'm honest, I can never quite believe when things like that happen. Instead of an overflowing sense of gratefulness, I tend to question- why me? Why me, the 'blogger' that posts once a month and with a measly 2000 followers? But over the last year or two, I've taught myself how to feel proud without feeling guilty.

People always ask me how I wear the things I do or how I have the confidence to do/say certain things. Honestly? A few years ago, back when I naively started blogging and attending events, I was young (and often intimidated) so I taught myself to just pretend. Pretend that I'm confident, pretend that I'm not sh*ting myself, pretend that I'm just like everyone else. And now at my ripe age of 19, I can safely say that the faking it paid off.

I've learnt to accept compliments without throwing them away. For the most part, I don't care what people say about me, but that doesn't make me emotionless. In a way, I wouldn't be where I am today without my self-taught confidence .
Myself and The Last Mixed Tape, judge of the category

I've spoken about my thoughts on the Irish blogging industry before, so I won't bore you all on that today, but it does play a part in how I learnt to not care. I don't have the big Instagram following and I don't have the famous social media star friends, but I'm part of a community of people that continue to show endless support for the things I do. I always try to repay those comments and likes and I really am glad that I never pursued the full time blogging route, because first and foremost, I'm a writer. I'm an aspiring journalist and fashion stylist, and that's where I want my legacy to lie.

Thank you to those who have followed me and supported me over the past five (?!) years. Numbers don't matter to me in the slightest, but genuine people do- and I'm lucky to have encountered so many of them over the past few years.

Image credits: Mark Carroll & Aaron Harper

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© oh hey there rachel. Design by Fearne.