nostalgia.

3.16.2018


Nostalgia. "A sentimental longing or wistful affection for a person or place in the past," or so Google says.

For me, it's a blessing and a curse.

Nostalgia is like looking through old photographs without needing them there in your hands. It can be found in memories, in people, in a place, in an old ticket stub.

It's nice to look back and think of all the good memories made, the moments passed. We're constantly reminded how precious life is and that we should accept each moment as it comes. Sometimes, at the time, you don't appreciate what's in front of you. But fondly reminiscing about the past can help that.

I'm a hoarder. On my walls in front of me as I write this are old concert tickets, ranging from Paramore to Wolf Alice and Hairspray the Musical. Beside me are polaroid photo prints detailing my life from 6th year to last year. At the time, some of the people in the photos were my favourite people, and now I can't remember the last time I spoke to some of them. I keep telling myself I should print new ones.

In that sense, nostalgia is a curse. It's a constant reminder of the people that are gone, of things that didn't go right. Of bad timings, missed opportunities and regrets. Sometimes I find myself thinking so much about times in the past that I fall down a spiral and forget to enjoy the moment of today.

That's the worst part about nostalgia- once it grabs you, you forget to enjoy today.

While I look back and think about how much I miss certain times and places and people in my life, I know in a few years time I'll think the same about today.

Because that's the most comforting thing about nostalgia- knowing that some day in the future, today could be a memory I miss.

Rachel x


Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© oh hey there rachel. Design by Fearne.